Sunday, August 13, 2006

More Red Dragon

This is how my first experiment with printing the woodcut onto a digital printout came out. Dont forget you can click on the images in this blog to view them enlarged. I scanned a 1"x1" peice of a drip painting and enlarged it to 12"x12". I went to Kinkos and had them printed with a plotter; a couple of grayscale and a couple of full color. I used the full color as a roadmap for the chine colle in my previous posting. I used a grayscale printout as a roadmap for carving the woodcut. I then inked the woodcut block with brick red ink and printed it on white mulberry paper, green drawing paper and onto one of the full color digital printouts. I really like the looks of the block printed onto the digital printout. I think I will do an edition of these. I just have to decide if I will do 25 or 50. The nice thing is that I don't have to do them all at once (plotter printouts are $10 a square foot). I can do a few as I need them. I think I may also want to print a layer of clear acrylic gel medium over the printout before I print with oily ink on top of it. I'm not sure if these papers are archival, but acrylic medium neutralizes ph and will provide a barrier between the paper and the oil based ink. Oil based mediums can deteriorate even good paper but a buffer of acrylic will protect the paper. I am very pleased with how this one came out! ~ PPC ~


Annie B said...

What a neat print! So much movement! I'm not sure if your ink jet prints would be archival or not. Last time I looked into that was about 5 years ago, so things may have changed, but the price was higher for archival output, and even then "archival" meant 50 years.

Phare-Camp said...

Hi Annie: I used to work for a tech corp known for their printers. I asked the researchers about those archival jet inks and they said that the 50 year thing was about as archival as it gets, he also warned me that no matter what the other companies said about their inks not to trust it, they are lying and they probably use our inks...I intend to use the acrylic medium to neutralize the paper so it doesn't rot. The shelf life of poor ph paper is much less than 50 years. If the jet printed images are protected from direct sunlight it will take a lot longer than 50 years for the colors to fade, but there is not much that to be done if the paper isn't neutralized and the surface of the art crumbles into dust! PPC